– WPBT2 pays homage to some of the greatest vocalists past and present. –
Saturday, March 3 at 6:00 p.m., Sunday, March 4 at 4:00 p.m.,
Thursday, March 8 at 8:00 p.m. & Saturday, March 10 at
Big Band Vocalists
Taken from long-unseen film footage dating from the 1940s and 1950s, this nostalgic look back offers romantic favorites from an all-star roster of legendary artists such as Louis Armstrong, Perry Como, Doris Day, Helen Forrest, Dick Haymes, Peggy Lee, Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra,
Jo Stafford & the Pied Pipers and many more. Go here to get the DVD.
Among the classic World War II-era bands backing up the vocalists are
groups led by Benny Goodman, Harry James, Bob Crosby, Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey, Stan Kenton, Duke Ellington, Ray Noble and others.
BIG BAND VOCALISTS (MY MUSIC) features these performances:
- “Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree” – The Andrews Sisters with Harry James Orchestra
- “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” – Louis Armstrong
- “Somebody Loves Me” – Tex Beneke
- “Tampico” – June Christy with Stan Kenton Orchestra
- “I’ll Dance at Your Wedding” – Buddy Clark with Ray Noble Orchestra
- “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” – Rosemary Clooney
- “On the Sunny Side of the Street” – Nat King Cole & Tony Martin
- “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now” – Perry Como with Ted Weems Orchestra
- “Big Noise From Winnetka” – Bob Crosby & Orchestra
- “It’s Magic” – Doris Day
- “Green Eyes” – Bob Eberle & Helen O’Connell with Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra
Saturday, March 10 at 3:30 p.m., Saturday, March 17 at
7:30 p.m. & Saturday, March 24
at 6:00 p.m.
Judy Garland: Duets
In JUDY GARLAND: DUETS, the incomparable Judy Garland collaborates with a who's who of top performers from the 1960s to deliver a non-stop lineup of classic Garland hits. Culled from her 1963-64 TV show, these full-performance duets feature the likes of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Lena Horne, Bobby Darin, Mel Torme, Jack Jones, Ethel Merman, Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee and Liza Minelli. Go here to get the DVD.
Saturday, March 10 at 10:00 p.m.
Tony Bennett: Duets 2
In celebration of his 85th birthday, the legendary Tony Bennett released the critically acclaimed Duets II, which followed his Grammy-winning Duets CD, released in honor of his 80th birthday. Featuring his greatest hits, performed by today’s biggest stars, Duets II was recorded live in studios from Los Angeles to London, New York to Italy, with Nashville in between, Bennett is joined by a diverse roster of artists, including, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Michael Buble, k.d. lang, Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Queen Latifah, Norah Jones, Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli and Amy Winehouse in what became her last recording. Go here to get the DVD.
Saturday, March 17 at
9:00 p.m. & Saturday, March 24 at
Join Frank Sinatra as he sings the songs that defined him. Narrated by his
daughter Tina Sinatra, this one-hour television event captures Sinatra at his
irresistible best with unforgettable performances of Come Fly With Me,
Strangers In The Night, My Way, Theme From New York, New York and
many more. Compiled from his award-winning television specials and
landmark concerts, Sinatra Sings presents an extraordinary collection of
iconic moments from his unparalleled career.